Common Question 7

Question: I was injured at work. Can I still recover money damages for my injuries?

Answer: In California, most employees are covered by Worker’s Compensation. This provides payments for medical and hospital expenses, and partial reimbursement for lost wages, for injuries sustained in the course of employment. Also, workers’ compensation benefits may include a lump sum payment for permanent injuries. Generally, if the accident was caused solely by the injured person, his or her employer or a co-worker, the Worker’s Compensation benefits are the injured employee’s only remedy, and the employee will usually not be entitled to sue his or her employer for money damages for the injuries sustained. However, if a person, business, etc. other than the injured person’s employer or co-worker was partially or entirely at fault for the accident, the injured person may sue those responsible parties for his or her injuries.

If you would like us to evaluate your accident claim, please complete and submit a Case Evaluation Form.